PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "You're Fired!"
Thread: "You're Fired!"
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 14:53
NEVER-YOU-MIND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT A LOVELY BUNCH YOU ARE!

Originally Posted by SirJohnHarveyJonesey
I cannot for the life of me, understand why this woman is a candidate on the programme.

She has a track record which shows fail, fail, fail, fail.
She is divorced, so a failure.
She is an ex-officer, so clearly was not cut out for that career.

She is a lawyer, or at least one who no longer feels able to further her career in that profession, and wants to opt out, so yet another black mark against her.

She is 34 years old. 34 !!! and still not settled down and happily married with 2.4 kids.
She looked 'fierce' and 'hard' so I cannot ever see her being able to command respect in business.

I can easily predict where she will be in 10 years time, and she won't like it at all.
I would not even let her work in the photocopy room at ICI.

Just where do the TV producers get the people for today's programmes?
It was very different in my day!
I despair for the country!
Well, what a lovely surprise it was to be told be an ex-colleague and friend that there was a thread on this website about my appearance on The Apprentice! It is, as I now see, slightly less than complimentary.

In response to the above posting - I do not consider myself a failure. Yes, I am divorced - along with half of the RAF and a third of the adult population.

I would have dearly loved to stay in the RAF, a career I was passionate about and which I loved, but left because I decided that I couldn't be dedicated to my job, which would take me all over the world, and be the best mother I could be to my young son. I took the very difficult decision to leave my job and focus on my son and finding a career which would fit in with him.

I have not left my career - as an RAF lawyer you are not instantly employable in civvie-street so I was looking for something which would be challenging and exciting and The Apprentice came along. I was one of 10,000 applicants and was selected to be on the show. You can take from that what you will but I was not one of the 'characters' and believe I was selected for my business ability and leadership - both of which were developed whilst in the RAF.

Since when was being married with 2.4 kids a sign of business success?

Yes, I am hard. I have had to be being a woman trying to survive in a man's world. Yes, I am fierce. Whether that would command any respect in business is your opinion but I have had numerous job offers since I was "fired" from companies as diverse as Nissan UK and BBC Scotland.

At the very least, I had the bollocks to give this thing a go. It was always the case that I was taking a huge risk that I would fall flat on my face and look like an idiot. This is the only forum/website where there has been such severe criticism. I would have thought that there would be some pride in the fact that an ex-RAF officer had made the grade in the first place - clearly not.

Like me or not - your choice. It is very easy to criticise from your sofa but much more difficult to take these kinds of chances.