PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Pilots
Thread: Jetstar Pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 01:35
Hugh Jarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thanks for your support, Normasars

UNOME, I don't sit in an office I just felt like sharing some FACTS about the overall cost of recruiting.

If a realistic system of fielding applicants exsited, do you really think any company requiring pilots to fly medium haul international, would overlook qualified experienced type rated applicates (at the first stage), in lieu of canditates who have not flown for 5 yrs and have no jet experience?? All very "equal opportunity", yeah right!!
So you suggest that companies exclude all those that aren't type rated? How "equal opportunity" is that? Besides, you misunderstand the meaning of EEO. That is discrimination based on religion, gender, race, sexuality etc. Not qualifications!

The problem we all face UNOME, is every airline believes it has the best recruiting system. For example, look how many Oz expats are working in Hong Kong. Just from my lilittle part of the world, I can recall at least 30 former work colleagues who "weren't good enough" to slide across to QF mainline, yet were fine for CX and Dragonair. And they are some of the best pilots and people I've had the opportunity to fly with.....I'm sure you and hundreds of others have similar stories to tell.

I can tell you now that having type and/or route experience doesn't necessarily make you more suitable for the job than "canditates who have not flown for 5 yrs and have no jet experience??" (your words). You can have all the technical qualifications and still be a lousy employee. Tech qualifications are only one facet of the big picture...That's why you have the battery of tests, a sim ride and interview.

Most of the time, the airline gets the sort of person they want (or deserve) However, some of the time they don't....

Here's a little run down of just some of the costs associated with recruiting:

1. QF sells the sim time to whichever airline is recruiting = EXPENSE;

2. The recruiting airline has to resource the sim instructor. Usually that means taking him off line for the whole day if he's a line pilot = EXPENSE;

3. The recruiting airline has to take at least one pilot off line for the interview panel = EXPENSE;

4. The recruiting airline has to provide the interviewers from HR = EXPENSE;

5. The recruiting airline has to pay StaffCV for hosting = EXPENSE;

6. The recruiting airline has to resource HR staff to process the applications = EXPENSE;

7. The recruiting airline (in some instances) has to transport and accommodate the candidate and/or recruiting team interstate or overseas = HUGE EXPENSE

You might say "stiff cheddar - that's all part of big business". Sure. I'm just pointing out that the candidate would be significantly worse off, if the company passed on all the costs of recruiting.

BTW wot is with the Jap stuff in your post??

Just my light-hearted attempt at some humour. People take themselves too seriously around here

Good luck with your job search, UNOME. Attitudes like yours are pretty easy to sniff out.

One final tip. Over 90% of misspelled resumes & CVs end up N.F.A.

Last edited by Hugh Jarse; 22nd Mar 2006 at 01:50.