PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I seriously need to worry.....
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2006, 13:17
Megaton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GFYA,

Sorry to disagree but recruitment over the last 12 months or so has been plentiful compared with the 2-3 years before that. Look at all the threads running which discuss how long one might spend in the hold pool or which airlines charge for type-ratings. Two years ago you couldn't even buy a job whereas now, for the lucky few, some jet jobs are even available straight from training. With BA now recruiting, there will be a scurry of applications coming from pilots in the second/third tier operations which is good news for the wannabes.

The devil, however, is in the detail. Although there is (relatively speaking) plenty of recruitment, the competition at the lower end of the experience scale is still intense. Some of the airlines are still using the hold pool as a means of attracting the better candidates until they have vacancies in their type-rating courses; however, inevitably, this often means that the more "attractive" candidates might be in one or more pools or even have several job offers. The obvious consequence of this situation is that some airlines delude themselves about the success of their recruitment campaigns.

For all that I've said above, I still wouldn't be unduly worried if I'd had no job offer several mmonths after completing training. Luck, and the recruitment cycle, have a large part to play and although I can't really explain why it appears that you can apply for months on end without success and then, like buses, several interviews will come along at once. I guess that whatever market forces make you attractive to one airline applies to their competitors.

The advice above is good though. Stay as current as you can and keep plugging away.

Good luck one and all,

HP