PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - difference in IR and IMC rating
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2006, 12:41
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuji,

My position remains that the IMC absolute minima are mandatory. It is the use of lower minima that I was talking about.

People have here in this thred admitted to flying lower than 500ft because they are not visual at 500ft. That is called ducking under.

Ir minima are indeed based on procedure design and the obstacle environment etc. However, as many IMC holders use a minima of 600ft MDH and 1800m RVR on a large number of approaches using different approach aids, different approach lighting (if any) and vastly different obstacle and operating environments provided that the minima is not lower than the published. That is the point I was making.

To say I don't "like" the IMC Rating is rubbish. Why would I teach people to do things that I don't like. What I say is that it is in need of a drastic revamp.

To compare the FAA IR and the JAA IR one would need to hold both. That leaves you out on both counts.

-------
IO540, Fuji and Julian,

There is no point in talking about the ATPL exams when thinking of the IR. There is no link. There is no requirement to study at ATPL level. There are courses of ground training available from a reputable provider that is specific to the IR. Loot it up and ask them.

The topics examined are;

Air Law/ Operational Procedures (1 hour)
Aircraft General - Systems (15min), Instruments/electronics (1 hour)
Flight Planning and Monitoring (2 hours)
HPL (30 minutes)
Met (1 hour 30 minutes)
navigation - General (30 min), Radio Navigation (1 hour 30)
IFR communications (30 min)

7 areas in which one must demomnstrate knowledge in 8 hours 45 minutes. Compared to 14 Areas in over 20 hours for the ATPL.

Can anyone honestly say that pilots should not have to demonstrate the above knowledge before being given an IR? Don't the FAA cover the same topics?

The IR training system has not significantly changed in subject matter and level of training pre and post JAR-FCL. Yes the prices have gone up and that is a problem. However, I can not see how many people studied in their own time with not much study material available and put in the same amount of flying and had to undergo the same medical checks to obtain an IR 10 years ago but now there is a perceived problem. I think that it could be argued that with well structured and available ground training plus the use of FNPT2s, the training for the IR is actually easier than it was 10 or 20 years ago. So why are today's pilots finding it difficult?

------
IO540,

It is an ICAO requirement to meet Class 1 medical hearing requirements for the IR.

-----

Julian,

Please let us all know where it was you could get FAA IR training for under $50 per hour.

Regards,

DFC