PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When did BMA A320 pilots get an ATC licence????
Old 21st Mar 2006, 11:53
CFD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danceswithsheep-My response was to a query by takeupthehold asking for pilots procedures when given a heading.I thought I had a common sense approach to this particular situation, I would ask but not TELL you what speed! I thought if in doubt ask was the sensible thing to do, although I accept you could well be busy doing other things at a quiet time.
I will fly any speed that I am told , no arguments.I am not one of the airbus pilots you were referring to although I do fly a 737 for their offspring.
If you tell me there is holding I will ask if you have a preferred speed to reduce the holding time.I thought communication would lead to a suitable outcome.
Now to try to explain myself, I believe the point we are talking about is 10d before talla, 250kts and below FL160.To be fair nine times out of ten when I have asked I have been told no speed from me.Sometimes we are given a heading such that we never get within a 10d ring around talla,therefore I ask the question, unless the rt is really busy then I would have just done it. I dont think anything is laid down in our manuals so my solution was to put the abeam point in,I cant say what others in my company would do in the same circumstance.If you are saying that is what is required and that becomes the mandatory speed reducing point then fine- I have asked the question and you have answered it.
I wish I had time to visit an area centre, nothing very local, but I have managed to visit my local airfield radar room and control tower and have the utmost respect for what you guys do.
I think I had better get back to lurking around othere ares of pprune before I cause problems.