PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When did BMA A320 pilots get an ATC licence????
Old 21st Mar 2006, 09:40
Take up the Hold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do aircraft obey speed limit points in LTMA even when on a heading towards the holding fix? Three times in the last couple of days, when working the Talla sector, I have asked aircraft (all different companies) their speed when they are in the vicinity of TLA on a heading towards TARTN. All were catching other traffic 10 to 12 miles ahead, below F130 and all with no shame advised 310/300/300 respectively. The SLPs are 250Kts, 10 before TLA when below F140. I had not asked them their speed previously and thought that they would slow down. I know, never assume in ATC, but you would think that pilots could read the STAR charts and not break the rules.
Since this I have been told by a pilot through a colleague that when an aircraft is given a heading it negates the STAR arrival and therefore the SLPs, somewhat akin to clearance to a new level negating the previous level restriction.
Any comments from TC controllers on what aircraft do in LTMA when on headings towards the hold.
Also any comments from our pilot friends on flight deck procedures and aircraft speed when given a heading to separate from other traffic, which is also approaching the same holding fix, but still roughly following the STAR.

TUTH