PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If not Emirates, then where to ??
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2006, 19:20
Kpt40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzz

Buzz, its really all about expectations.
Ek may not be what it was, but I wonder what airline is. From my perspective in the USA, we are on a spiral of less pay and security for what we do.
Perhaps SIA is a better deal , if you have the 50000 usd to get the job.
Cathay, great company, and good pay . Good luck getting it. For us in the USA,options are limited. Everything you make is taxed, and your pension is probably on life support if not dead already.
A first year Ek F/O makes about 5ooo/month.by my estimation, based on where you live(US State) I would have to make 7200 usd/month- not including houseing to see that type of take home pay.- not including houseing. Starting pay at Continental Airlines is about 3000 usd, less tax.In 7 years one would make 737 Captain, and get about 140/hr.- thats 10500 usd gross, or about 7500 usd take home pay.
Now I know you are not from the USA, but the general principle applies.
Again, was the job better in the past- yes. I would have loved to fly long haul for Pan Am. Is Ek the job for you? Only you can judge that. But, based on the trend everywhere, it is one of the better ones. The comments that even the complainers are still around holds weight.
That doesn't mean that Ek is perfect, it just means that they didn't apply to the better jobs- didn't get called to the better jobs...or ,as I think- they couldn't find that elusive better job because it doesn't exist.