PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anxieties of spinning
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2006, 16:33
Kengineer-130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having just done my PPL in the states, I asked my instructor to take me up and do some spins, as it was not part of the sylabus I thought it would be a good idea to see what they are like and how to recover. The first one we dropped into scared the hell out of me, as in a C-150 it almost felt inverted as it broke from the stall into the spin, but even as we were dropping out the sky, my instructor was calm as you like, showing me that the normal control inputs did nothing, then proceeded to talk through recovery as he demonstrated the procedure. We went back up and did another one, with me flying, but he kept his hands and feet on the controls just to stay safe, then after that I did 4 more, 2 with me entering and recovering myself, one in each direction, then 2 with my instructor entering, and he made me close my eyes and put my head on my shoulder as we stalled, so when I had to recover I had to identify the direction of the spin and orientate myself.

I think that spins should be part of the sylabus, as it gave me so much more confidence in the handling and recovery of the aircraft. I think that a calm and confident instrutor is vital though, as I wouldn't have been happy spinning with someone who didn't really want to do it. When I get a chance, I am going to go to kemble and take a spin course with ultimate high, as they are all ex RAF instrucors, and you can never have enough training in my opinion, so why don't you have a look at www.ultimatehigh.co.uk , a bit of training with a confident instructor might help you get over your fear