PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 20th Mar 2006, 01:18
papa68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texdoc,

Mate, I appreciate the frustration that you (presumably as a low hour pilot) may be experiencing in finding you're way up the ladder.

The article in question does indeed paint a bright future for helicopter pilots and you're wondering "what does it mean for me?" The ABC news ran a story on Jan 31 stating the same sort of thing citing a shortage of pilots and engineers as the main "handbrake" in the expansion of the helicopter industry. The GM of Bristow's Australia was interviewed and said as much and although it dealt particularly with the offshore side of things, I'm sure my colleagues would agree that the industry as a whole should experience good growth and therefore the prospects for suitably qualified and experienced personnel should improve as a result.

For those just starting out, please understand you must have the appropriate QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE to fullfil the positions in question. There is no shortcut around this that I am aware of.

Just because a shortage of appropriately skilled personnel may be on the cards doesn't mean operators are just going to lower the entry requirements to put bums on seats. However, it does mean that opportunities exist for those who put themselves in an employable position because they'll be movement in the industry as a whole. The trick is to put yourself in the position where you have all the necessary boxes ticked and therefore be eligible for those positions when they inevitably become available.

Good luck,

Papa68