PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 19th Mar 2006, 12:40
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ocker

Hi again ocker,
Steady on with the horses’ old son the leads a’bolting on you.

I ain’t a’smearing as to wit; “yes there is ample evidences that the largest percentage of the EMS are as sharp a mob of drivers you’ll ever get,”

I am happy to attempt a prioritisation of the different disciplines, mostly the records speak for themselves, but explanations are harder. E.G. why has fire-work enjoyed such a brilliant track record under very arduous conditions when plague locust detection has been less than rosy and always operates in good vis.

I read in a crash comic years ago that one locust dude decided that crashing one at a time was not good enough and totalled two together. The story did not relate the temper of the owners.

Recently the Plague Locust Commission has instigated much better procedures. “ABC News story”

Mustering, spraying, military and filming appear rightly lumped together accident rate wise.

Mustering which takes on junior drivers has changed much to the better since the easier to fly R22’s took over. I hear that 75% or so of the R22 SB’s world wide are of OZ origin and 75% of them from North Qld. Well less than half the OZ R22’s reside in NQ. Does that say something?

One only out of four OZ R22 blade failures was proven to be within TBR hours, see latest crash comic. Had the other three not overrun TBR’s there would have been a lot less pain, why did the system let those three over run?

When fail safe wire detection comes in then spraying will take a quantum leap to the safer side.

The military have had some accidents for sure, wire strikes, low level handling, usually during training of the low time pilots that they take on.

Filming!!; I’m told that as long as everyone knows that the one single serviceable component that causes more crashes than any other is a “CAMERA” and heeds it, then safety will increase there.

Tourism takes on juniors too but is a much less demanding profile, so no excuses there.

Offshore / Onshore min-ex should be on top of the pile as far as safety, the next being the Police. Both areas have the higher time drivers and better disciplined tasks.

Police and EMS suffer in many areas from funding problems, as I have said, but energex in Qld who levy all power users in the area of their local EMS have a stable funding base now.

EMS is tarnished needlessly only by a very small minority, as I have also said, E.G. heading off shore to refuel on a reef with a known defect radalt and its all dark outside, sorry ocker; what procedures allowed this?

Training bends more than it should, mostly from errors in autos, but has improved a bit now that instructors who are usually auto-current do the exam tests where before FOI’s were unnecessarily exposed with their lack of currency.

Private flying is always going to be a bit volatile due to independence away from supervision. Once again R22’s and R44’s are easy to fly; the safety courses have good impact here.

On the positive side the military and mustering have injected a strong cadre of highly skilled pilots into the other disciplines, so too has the fire job improved pilot skills.

Victoria is embarking on a major fire prevention program, (ABC news again) if NSW follows suit then Heli-bombing will dry up, which will loosen more funds for EMS and Police work. (Professional lobbyists required there)

I probably am an outsider, there you go, a Pitt St. farmer once told me that he knows all about farming from watching Landline. Me I’ve read nearly all of the crash comics. I watch others in these threads, baiting, biting, but I didn’t expect to catch a groper on the first cast.

Maybe you will have been invigorated to think of more real improvements other than the generalisations above, good luck on that if you do. I guess flying is like truck driving-- ranting to excess only wastes resources.
TET
P.S. Consider changing your pen name sunshine? All other ockers that I know live on the high side of the tracks and, shovel cement!

Thanks P68, point taken and esp. yes the cyclone for interest of rotorheads abroad with loved ones in North Qld, it looks like a fairly wild one at force 4 -5 to be crossing the coast at Innisfail in a few hours. Follow the link. http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/qld/ and if you follow the charts link to 'latest mean sea level map' you will see another one at 990mbs right up larry's ginger. Good wet season's, like back in the 70's.

I guess everyone up there will be greasing the wheels, lots of flood relief, etc, etc. Oh and probably some EMS work !!!!