PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 18th Mar 2006, 15:42
zelin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by demandpump
Hi,
If you can get a job at SYFC, then its good. I was a student there once. They impose high standards on training and on instructors as well. But be mindful that the kind of flying done at SYFC is very limiting. You basically fly round and round in circles in the training area. No cross-country flying, no multi-engine, no instrument flying, you don't get to shoot instrument approaches. I'm not even sure if there is a VOR station to track.
After too much of visual single-engine flying, you might get rusty on other advanced flying techniques, then that's not very good. Moreover, having a couple thousand hours on a PA-28 isn't going to do much good for the airlines.
SYFC has a very "military" culture, because of its close links with the air force. Many of the instructors are former/current air force pilots. When I was flying there (many years ago), there were a few self-sponsored CPL guys, don't know if they're still there now. During those days, students were allowed to dress casually for flying lessons. Now they have to wear "flight suits". I think the instructors as well (?)
Think the flight instructors that u've known from SYFC are no longer with the club. They've all moved on and mainly the retirees frm airforce are joining them as instructors. Well, flight suits are only issued to students in the PPL phase...those in the basic phase wear a syfc polo-tshirt.
Flying at SYFC, one will be bounded by many rules and regulations, which can really be quite stifling. But well, a couple of their instructors have left to join the airlines...they probably have other hours besides the thousands on the PA28 =P
Cruisercruiser, regarding the flying clubs in johor, Johor Flying club is no longer in operations. There's only FRAS and ELITE flying clubs which are based at Senai now. Joining Elite Flying Club might be a better idea i guess as they have more aircrafts compared to FRAS and currently, u can be an AFI in Malaysia just by holding a PPL. Rules are changing next year to be the same as Singapore, where a CPL would be the minimum to qualify as an AFI.

Last edited by zelin; 26th Mar 2006 at 13:19.