PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If not Emirates, then where to ??
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2006, 10:29
plovdiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My husband was a DEC and I can tell you that his salary was less than the amount you quote.
I know this is a rumour forum but this rumour is not true![/QUOTE]

As Gillegan comments some DECs who were less keen to join EK were seduced by an 'improving' contract. There was a degree of negotiation available with a basic package of up to DH30,000+ on offer at the time.

Those DECs who joined on DH24,000+ undersold themselves in their desparation to join EK

EkWife has the smell of a Brit, perhaps the thought of GBP1,000+/month after tax in lost salary will make her cup seem less than half full.

She mentions that her family knew what it was joining, but so did everybody who joined 1992-2004, they were joining an airline with a seniority system that did not include DECs.

The company has overlooked many competent First Officers with DEC qualifications simply because it is cheaper on paper to employ a DEC, an upgrade First Officer requires replacement so the training costs are doubled.

How quickly EK has moved from being praised and lauded on Pprune to now being despised and ridiculed.

It is hard to see how the A380 can be trained for as it will take crews off a line program that is already undercrewed and barely working. Increasing numbers of people are leaving and not enough people are joining.

Drastic and expensive action is needed now to save this airline from a big fall.