PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disillusioned - persuade me to stay?
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2006, 07:54
P-T-Gamekeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life on the outside

The big question to ask is do I want to make a full career out of the RAF, or do I see myself flying outside?

If you are looking at a second career, then start it as soon as possible. If you are under 35, then it is not financially worth the pension, (as you are balancing 17 years of pension against your final 3 years of airline captain's salary)

Timing also plays a big part. At the moment, the big carriers are recruiting heavilly, but who says this will continue. Last year I decided the time was right for me to go, and am now flying longhaul for a major carrier. The RAF wouldn't extend me, I was offered a good job with a £14k payrise - decision made.

Having said that, the grass isn't always lush and green. The RAF has changed, but so has the rest of the world. You will work hard for your money, but will go to nice places, and will know when you are going there.

As for having lots of great mates in the RAF, most of mine left/are leaving anyway! All the pilots I have met in my airline have been top guys so far, plus my crew includes 13 girls!(and the odd Daffyd!).

I had a great time in
I would do it all over again
I am looking forward to a great time out.
Best of luck whatever option you choose.

P-T-G