PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 15th Mar 2006, 00:30
9M-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruisercruiser
Hi dudes,

I've read the threads here about going to MFA for a CPL/IR. I've got a friend who drove all the way up north on a weekend to enquire about signing up. He was told that it's fully booked til April 2007 and was told to leave his name with 100+ other private students and they'll give him a call when there's a vacancy. Apparently AirAsia and MAS have been flooding MFA with students that they are operating at capacity. It seems like aviation in this region is really booming!

A bit of info about myself: I'm a SIA final round reject and like most of you here, am passionate about flying and am saving hard for the course up north or australia. I was told by some cadet friends who were ex classmates that they do not entertain 2nd round rejects like myself. So I had to look for alternative like those I've mentioned. I'm 28 this year and will need a few more years of saving before I can afford the fees. I guess by the time I get a CPL/IR I'll reach an old 32 or 33! I'll still presevere though.

I know an instructor in SYFC who advised me to seek a "written blessing" from the GM of SYFC that they'll employ me after I get my CPL/IR from MFA, before I embark on the course. I haven't done so since I'm still short of about 2/3 of the sum required! Any thoughts on the "written blessing" and clocking hours as a AQFI/QFI in SYFC? Any comments positive or negative most welcomed!

I would like to take this opportunity to look around for people who have flung the final SQ interview and yet got in some years later, either through the usual cadet way or through the long hard way of clocking hours as an instructor or bush piloting. I know there might be none! However I still harbour hopes that SQ will one fine day change their recruitment policy.

Hope to hear from you guys really soon!

cruiser
Hi,
There are many factors you need to consider before embarking on your long and expensive journey. Do not just think going to a cpl/ir school you will have a job after that. You have to have a backup plan. Also getting an australian CPL/IR and coming back home to convert proves another problem. CAAS will not convert your licence for you unless you are employed by an air operator and air operator will not emply you because you do not have a CAAS CPL. Thats how they control aviation in sg. If you are looking for opportunities in malaysia with a CPL , DCA will require you to have total PIC time of 500hours before you are eligible to take the written ATPL/CPL papers. They will not convert your licence until you have sit for all the papers.

Working in malaysia as an instructor i would say is of a higer possibility than compared to working in singapore. Many post in singapore are reserved for the ex air force pilots. Anyway what i think is the best path if if you can afford go ahead with the CPL and be prepared to have to work as an instructor to clock your hours.