PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'F15 Board of Inquiry Report - Support Group Response
Old 13th Mar 2006, 10:20
DICK DOLEMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keepin it in trim

Thanks for your observations. The weather conditions on the day were very changeable and whiteout conditions were prevalent in the area. From the log of events:

1318. Ac last seen on radar
1339. RCC informed
1410 Rescue 137 scrambled from Lossiemouth

From the above and assuming a 20 minute transit for the helicopter, the first time on scene would have been approximately 70 mins after the ac were last seen by radar; remarkably quick but the weather conditions may have been totally different 1 hour before. This is supported by the fact that Axis formation reported transiting up the Lairig Ghru some 2 km west of the crash site without needing to weather abort.

There is nothing new in your comments that alters my views on the credibility of the eyewitness reports. My opinion is that the F15s may have turned up Glen Quoich by mistake; the next valley to the west, Glen Lui, would have been a more obvious choice. For the eyewitnesses to have seen the Tornados would have meant the same route being followed; with twin crew and the equipment advantage of the Tornado, I think this route and scenario most unlikely.