PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting non-JAA (Including FAA) license to JAA licence
Old 13th Mar 2006, 02:34
mortennb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nervy
So.... if the JAA system is to be binned - Does everyone really think that from 1st Jan 2007 the EASA is going to let anyone with an FAA CPL get automatically issued with a JAA/EASA CPL??? surely the CAA/Bristol gs/Oxford/Cab Air etc will not stand for that? And what about all the people who are in the middle of studying for the JAA ATPLs when the JAA is binned?
Probably not.. But who knows what will happend. I am not sure what everybody will do in the future. But I will try to get a job outside the JAA system after my visa expires, as well as most of my friends here. And hopefully the helicopter companies in the US will start sponsoring visa's soon.
And if that happens, I think more people will choose to stay here, even more people will come over here. And it will be interesting to see how the European companies will get qualified pilots for theyr positions when there are no more 800-1000 hour pilots to digg up. "The problem has already started"

This is NOT something that will happend in the first few years, but in time it might. Who knows? Just being realistic.
I can see how pilots from the JAA side might feel about this whole thing. But people having a FAA/ICAO education is getting more and more frustrated about the whole JAA system. And if more pilots choose to stay outside the EU, that might lead to something in the future.

Like someone else has commented, if the US companies starts sponsoring your visa, I hope the FAA makes it just as difficult for JAA pilots to convert to FAA, as FAA has to JAA today. Because than i think the unemployed JAA pilots will get another tone as well.