PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA ATPL Theory Study
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2006, 16:29
Dick Whittingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In fact,you might say Alex is Bristol Groundschool, but that would be unfair to the team. Alex has his hands full at this moment, so I'll give you a holding answer.

The JAA require a distance course to have a minimum number of hours spent in home study and in face-to-face classroom study. That is why we have the 2 week classroom periods for each half of the course

Based on your performance on the progress tests at home and at Cheddar we have to sign you off to the CAA as up to a reasonable standard

You could theoretically do the distance learning in two months, but it would be huge job. You can't avoid the classroom bit, and as we run the first half and second half brush-ups concurently you couldn't do both in one two week period. You could wait one month and do the next, however.

Exams are sheduled by the CAA at the begining of each month, so you go straight from the brush-up to the exams. I think trying to do all fourteen in one week would be a touch hard. Even half one month and the rest in the nexr month would be pretty tough.

So, in summary, you can't short cut the CAA trequirements, but you might be able to pack the whole lot in in a short time. More like four months than two.

I'll leave it to others who have done the course to tell you how hard it is,and how long ordinary mortals take

Leave it a few days then call Alex at Bristol for his advice

Dick W