PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin time in US
Thread: Twin time in US
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2006, 15:55
bfato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bfato, I understand where you are comming from however what does it matter who that person in the right seat is as long as you fly the entire time in the left and log PIC or Pilot In Command, if the other guy is flying under FAA rules where they can log it as safety pilot in command time.
Ah, there is a difference between safety pilot and PIC. If someone is acting as a lookout whilst you are under the hood, then he is your safety pilot and you are in command, it is your flight, you log PIC. Under JAA, your buddy couldn't log anything but under FAA he gets to log 'safety pilot' or P2. No problem there. If, instead, he decides as an instructor he's entitled to log it as 'in Command' then be definition you cannot, and must record P U/T (and only then as he has an instructor rating - if he hadn't you could nothing). There can only ever be ONE person logging IC at any stage of a flight.

Hhmm. Nope on checking I think my maths is right. They charge for FAA land 6,995USD for 100 hours (from their website). Thats 50 hours JAA time if you take out the safety pilot time that we all know about already. But really it is only 45 hours P1 time as in the 100 hours (or 50 if you like under JAA) they want to do 5 hours of check outs. Then add on a fuel surcharge of 10 bucks per hour which is another 1,000USD. Add on another 300 USD for a check ride assuming you don't need any additional ratings with them. Total cost I get is 8,295USD. Divide the 45 hours P1 into 8,295 and hey presto you get 184USD p/hr. Or do 50 if you want total time you can log under JAA and its 165USD p/hr. All subject of course to whether the prices on their website are up to date or not.

Now under this new JAA thingie you say its 10,912.19USD for 100 hours. That is 109USD p/hr. No idea if that includes fuel surcharges or check rides or anything else but it seems way way way off the 165USD that you get when you work through their website. Be interesting to know how the big difference comes about and if we are comparing apples with oranges ie: Your price assumes you spend other cash with them for training or there are other add ons.

Key question for you to ask them. Will there be anyone else in that aircraft with you for the 100 hours?

Remember if it sounds to good to be true then it usually is.
I agree with you entirely, potkettleblack.

Commpilot, I'm not knocking Aviator by the way. I've been considering going there myself and spoke with Mike last week. I'm just pointing out that what they call TT isn't what we can count as TT and their P1 isn't necessarilly what we can count as PIC. If you do the sums potkettleblack has done and decide they're still for you then go. But be aware that there may be other FTOs in the US that compare equally on price when you level the playing field.