PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2006, 08:25
DeltaSix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Losing pilots

This all due to the economic downturn that our country is facing and has been for quite sometime now. It's a terrible state of affairs, but the airlines seems to show no inclination to alleviate the problem without imposing draconian measures on it's most precious assets.... it's people.
And to add to it's woes, pilot solidarity is fragmented at best. It's true that market forces comes into play, but it's equally true that we're our own worst enemies when it comes to tough negotiations with our employers. The sad fact is we stick our heads in the sand and if the occasional lone voice is heard during a strike, on top of the fact that the airline management will actively seek ways to bring them down and everyone with them, some will crumble in the process and everyone suffers the consequences of failure. Having to put up with substantially less generous conditions.

For the airforce unfortunately, not unless our government can come to terms to justify the expense of buying fighter jets, I'm afraid all the airforce pilots will be flying will be cargo planes and helos. Gone are the days of the Blue Diamonds and that is so sad as I grew up believing that I can fly with them when I grew up. I didn't even make the final decision to join the PAF as during the time I was about to join, due to the rising price of AVTUR and the state of the economy, they were pulled off line.

Losing pilots is a double-bladed sword. Airline profits will decline on one side but skills shortage means that those with skills will command better returns in terms of pay and conditions. Though it might take time. The balance of supply and demand will tip in the favour of Fil pilot in the near future, if not already.
Flight operation management will deny it of course saying it is an envitable change but they are going to great lengths to tighten their employees chains to tie them down to poverty.

Suffice to say, they will feel how the pilots have been feeling when their needs were not heeded.

DeltaSix

Last edited by DeltaSix; 11th Mar 2006 at 03:21.