PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - stop encouraging... (merged with 'Is there any hope')
Old 8th Mar 2006, 12:32
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another friend has just got a job, pays very well for a first job, and sounds like great flying.

A320
Even if you have 1000-2000 hours, it does not mean you will get more chance.I have over 2000h(small a/c only) and they ask me if I have eavy jet experience.
More completely incorrect information, and another suggestion that you are restricting yourself.

1000 hours in light aircraft gives people a much better chance, even for jets. My job requires 700 hours. The friend who got the job I mentioned above would have been flying a 737 months ago had he 500 hours - he passed the selection but they had invited him in error, mistaking his hours. Why would a turboprop operator or a light charter company ask about heavy jet hours? I would suggest you make sure you have 40 hours PIC under IFR on twins. If you have the personality to be a pilot (your posts here suggest not, but I don't know you so cannot judge) then you will walk into a single-crew charter job, earning about the same as a junior FO on a turboprop, but with much lower bond of a year or less. With 900 hours or so I had 2 firm offers and one that phoned me up just as I started training for the one I accepted. The job is brilliant!

Mad Jock

Good advice on TRs. I have a friend who flies ATRs, but when he got the speculative type rating he was approached by operators of other turboprops, including Dash 8s and J41s.