PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeing is Believing!
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2006, 09:08
Flying Bull

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi all,
no doubt, flying with NVG can be safer - especially when having an emergency.
But it can be detrimental to your health, if you're not properly trained.
There are more then one pitfall relating to NVG-flying - and thats why additional to a ground course, at least 15 hours training AND a minimum currency is mandatory for operating with NVG.
It is one thing to see the capabilities of NVG at good conditions - it is a different story at bad conditions. I ended up in a shower in the hillsides, air traffic telling me, that 15 NM around the wheather was the same, no landing spot available, hovering along a 200 feet powerline, which I followed with my landing light, because if I had lost it, the risk ending up in it was high.
It payed off, that we operate NVG with a crew of two - no chance to check inside the cockpit without flying several seconds blind. In that condition - loosing the wires in the landinglight - could have been deadly.
I'm convinced, that NVG-operations should only be done with a crew of two.
Itī s much more to NVG-flying then just putting them on - don't forget that, when wanting them.
And don't forget the extra weight on your head/neck - there are no longtime experiances - but there are already NVG-pilots with problems...

Greeting Flying Bull