PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - stop encouraging... (merged with 'Is there any hope')
Old 4th Mar 2006, 21:47
Fancy Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A320rider has a few points:
Unless you have loads and loads of money, borrowing huge amounts to go through PPL/CPL/IR through a modular route is sheer madness (going through an integrated course and spending 60k with no income is even madder!).... I have done it (modular) and I am now crippled with debts....Fortunately, I have a good job that keeps me afloat, but things are very tight and it is going to take me a long time to clear the debt.
I am realistic and I know that with a fresh CPL/IR and about 250 hours, the chances to land that first job are very removed.... I am trying and will not give up, but like everybody else, wonder if I have made the right move. I have just enough money left to pay for an MCC. An FI rating is another 6k, I can't currently afford it, above all with all the debt I have.... I can hardly afford to pay for 1 hour of flying at the weekend....How am I supposed to remain current? Build some more hours? I have a house to pay, a car loan, a normal life, etc... what am I supposed to do....? Sell my house, live under a bridge? Go back to live with mummy and daddy? Give up my job and try to find "second class" flying jobs which pay peanuts?
Do I have to borrow even more money?
I am not moaning, but trying to paint a realistic picture of my situation which I believe might be similar to other people's.

So A320rider is not that wrong. People considering this career should think long and hard about the consequences, above all if they have to borrow money to do the training. It is very, very easy to borrow money, not that easy to pay it back. Think about it!
Aviation is a very competitive industry and it is very expensive to become "experienced" enough to be in a position to get an airline job (small operator, of course ), unless you are exceptionnally lucky or know the chief pilot.
Don't throw boiling oil on me please
FNav