PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 777 rosters
Thread: EK 777 rosters
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2006, 19:43
Scudsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few sectors vs Many sectors?

Hi Mupepe,

A very good question and also very difficult to answer because it depends on the type of person you are. I was in the short haul business first (as most of us were) and I thought I knew what long haul would be like. Most of my friends (like myself) have been surprised to find out that the "tiredness" or fatigue (if I am allowed to say that word) is not what we expected it to be. It's different but not necessarily better OR worse.

Also, we all have different ways of getting over it. I am off to bed and to hell with all the noise around me. Some of my friends battle through the day and stay awake. It depends on your personal survival technique. Some guys I thought would love long haul have already gone home. Others have surprised me with their change of lifestyle and prefer it. You just can't tell who will like it and who won't.

No one knows in advance if they'll like charter timing departures and ULH flights until they actually try it! It could be a costly mistake, as some have found out. Or else it's just different (which is my take on things).

I think you still end up tired doing the job, it's just a different sort of tired. I find long haul is less professionally rewarding. That "job well done" feeling isn't there as often because you don't fly as many sectors. Just MY opinion, I know some will think otherwise. And I feel I make more mistakes than I used to. That is annoying, but I've adapted to it and I can live with it.

Is that any help?

Scudsy