PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - stop encouraging... (merged with 'Is there any hope')
Old 2nd Mar 2006, 13:45
boogie-nicey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A320 has had his trun, now I would like to say .....

In the UK as with any other FREE country you have a open run at what you want to do. If you want the most in life then it costs the most and not just in terms of money but effort, sacrifice, time and of course risk. Otherwise there would be no 'weight' to people's achievement, this isn't just a practical assumption but a soical law of common sense. Indeed all wannabes need to research their chosen career path but we shouldn't be discouraging them, that's just wrong it's like employment apatheid, in which case who chooses and judges on whom can pursue aviation or get's left behind? The flipside to this is that once you done adequate research and worked hard at the training then you shouldn't moan (well not persistently anyway) upon graduation when you can't get a job, you need to be grown up and realise that's just life. Engineers don't leave university and go straight onto build a damn or an award winning skyscraper, that'll come later in their career. However aviation has led many a wannabe into thinking that a jet job is the norm and not the exception which has a negative impact in terms realistic perceptions and distracts pilots from pursuing the more traditional (but still effective) paths of experience and hour building. Maybe the employment framework is such that it's trying to give fATPLs a message that you haven't quite finished yet, go and take the next step in something like Instruction, air taxi, etc and also be patient (remember the best things come to those who wait). Even after all that there will inevitably be some casualties that's just how it is in all walks of life.

As a brief exmaple my wife studied real hard as a Midwife in another country then married me and now has to jump through hoops here in the UK to even become a general nurse all due to petty bureacracy. Whereas she sees a load of know nothing nurses brought in from other countries get jobs in hospitals. The difference being just a handful of months worth of experience between them and her BUT she doesn't spend her days complaining about how it's a conspiracy against her, she just gets on with.

In other words aviation is just as brutal in terms of a job market as any other industry, look at the queues of Hollywood wannabes that spend all their money on photo shoots, agents, travelling up and down the country for auditions whilst all the time losing out on alternative careers because they were just trying to get that lucky break? What about my father who studied as a Civil Engineer and upon graduatino couldn't find a job and has recently retired as a factory worker, didn't hear him moan, he just concentrated on other things in life. There are a million and one stories like this out there in the world in many sectors of employment but the difference is those who pick themselves up and those that just sit there complaining about how hard done by they have been. As an aviator never forget how privileged you are with or without a job, must I remind you of the majority in this world that are way, way behind you in terms of quality of life or should I say survival itself.

As for A320rider you disappoint me my friend, have you thought about going to live in Canada and spending a couple of years flying commuter aircraft and moving up through the industry that way? If you love aviation so much have you though about FI AND Ground instruction so that you come as a true instructor package? Maybe you do that for a year get the signoffs, lease a small aircraft and set yourself up in the instruction business. Then you'll get the chance to attract business by telling all your prospective customers that there are many jobs out there just waiting to be filled I doubt you'd complain then! There is always a 'next step' it just depends if you have the will inside and think you can make the jump.

What you CANNOT do in life is dictate what other people can or cannot do that is the kind of second rate comment that comes from a politician's mouth. 'Free to do whatever one chooses and responsible for each and everyone of those actions, that's the price of personal freedoms'.