PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non type rated SIC in N reg ac in EU
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2006, 19:45
G-SPOTs Lost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very very old thread things have changed.
Right now if you are given appropiate training either by a certified course or a TYPE rated American ATP holder, you can act as 2iC.
The problem arose becuase this system in the States is an excemption to ICAO rules. It all kicked off a couple of years ago because some guys were flying some heavy iron into and out of Luton with Engineer/PPL/2ic in the RHS. The CAA ramp checked them and eventually formally objected to the excemption and told the US to sort the job out!
Previously the only evidence of training used to be log book entries with a suitable endorsement in the logbook which read something along the lines of:
14 CFR 61.55
Second in Command Qualification
I certify that _____________________________________
Holder of Airman Certificate # ¬¬___________________
Has demonstrated the skill and knowledge required for the safe operation of the_____________ type of Aircraft, relevant to the duties and responsibilities of a second-in-command.
SIM / Flight Training for Second In Command Training completed this date
___________________________ _____________________
Signature Certificate #
___________________________ _____________________
Name (Please Print) Date
Ground training has been provided IAW FAR 61.55(B)(1)(i) through (v).
what wasn't carried was an actual license, which was making the CAA have a baby.
The FAA has now basically agreed to withdraw their exemption to ICAO for flights outside the US but has postponed the withdrawal till I think July 06 so that 2iC holders can apply to the FAA to get their 2ic TYPE ratings actually issed onto their airmans certificate if they want to operate outside the US. This is simply done at any FSDO in the US with a 8710 form
On their actual license they will get something like:
Types: 737 (SIC)
with limitations being.
BOEING 737 (second in command privileges only)
Do a google search on FAR 61.55 for the absolute regs
Also just found this which explains things a little better.
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...ighlight=61.55
2iC is a great tool for bringing people on, Im a Brit and luckily had a US PPL which enabled me to get some serius Jet time. You will need to have a US IR which can be converted from your JAA/IR if required.
So the answer is yes you can, but do it properly after June