PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting non-JAA (Including FAA) license to JAA licence
Old 1st Mar 2006, 17:08
mortennb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigMike
Oogle is correct. The JAA system is designed to keep out those who did a licence somewhere else, and if you do want to fly there, then they will extract a large sum of cash from you, to pass exams you have already sat else where...sort of like a penalty really.

If they were really worried about others standards, they would let you sit a "Bridging" exam, or even let you sit the exams without doing an "approved" ground school course. If I know the theory, why won't you let me sit the exams??? "Ahhh, but without the ground school we don't know if you are at our standard" ...Well if I pass your exams, then I guess I must be...

I thought the "I" in ICAO stood for international?
Well, thx for the reply's.
And I am not moaning, never have and never will. But YES, I am looking for the cheapest way to get my JAA licenses. I feel the same way as BigMike here. If they where worried about the standards, why not let us only take the exams?
I find it funny and depressing to know the JAA system is so complicated for foreign licenses. Ofcourse they can require more than other countries, but 650 hours of ground required??
I called the Australian CAA the other day, and asked what i need to do if I want theyr licenses. "You need to take our AIRLAW exam, and a practice test" . Thats the way it should be.