PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JETSTAR PILOTS
Thread: JETSTAR PILOTS
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2006, 01:37
oicur12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROKAPE,

Such a comprehensive list of duties required by an airline pilot. Maybe that explains why airline pilots are in a much higher income bracket than the majority of other employees in Australia while working fewer hours. And still you complain.

Chris,

“what does an employer do to entice the subject from going elsewhere...yep! Pay 'em more.”

This is incorrect. There is ample evidence that staff turnover is related to many things, but salary is not the most critical of these. WN is just one example of an airline that enjoyed the lowest staff turnover of any airline in the US industry back when their salaries/profit sharing were not competitive at all (and their safety record was and is the best). Companies commonly make the mistake of believing that raising staff salaries will solve problems arising from an unmotivated, unhappy disengaged workforce. It does not necessarily work. You pay ransom, you get bandits.

‘Having identified your higher level candidates . . “

What exactly is a higher level candidate in piloting terms? Surely if your cockpit crew meets minimum standards of safety and efficiency then there would be no need to offer a premium to attract the “higher level candidate” you refer to. Surely a safe pilot is just as good as a really really safe pilot that costs more.

Finally, having been so critical of Jetstar pilots in many posts here on pprune, I thought I would again offer you the chance to prove how in depth your knowledge of Jetstar is.

I ask again,

Do you know what experience levels the crew actually have at Jetstar?