PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Screaming Virgin doesn't like it rough? (or VA F/A screams during turbulence)
Old 28th Feb 2006, 22:06
shuttlebus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Some thoughts

A lot of this comes down to experience and peception.

A couple of years back flying into BFS from LHR with BMI, pre christmas, 80-90mph gales across the UK, dark windy night with lots of visible precipitation.... basically a real mucky night.

Shuttlebus down the back in the last row sitting beside a very nice young lady from JAL, travelling back home.

The plane was filled with a mixture of travellers heading home for the hols and families who had been shopping in London i.e. young children and lots of luggage in the OH lockers.

Turbulence all the way up the UK. About half way in to the flight, several of the cabin crew commented to my friend that it was as rough as some could remember.

On the approach in to Belfast it became fairly rough (All journos read extremely rough) and included a few fairly entertaining g unloads caused by downdraughts, followed by the "into the seat" moment as AP tried to maintain profile. All this accompanied by a fair amount of hunting by the auto-throttle.

I was quite happily sitting their alternating my attention between the window and the blond to my right (but mainly to the blond ) and we were happily chatting away. The rest of the cabin was deathly quiet with the sound of quiet crying to be heard towards the front - it was probably a baby or small child with air sickness...

The landing was fairly entertaining (wind sock was at about 90 degrees to the runway and fully extended) as the removal of the crab angle was accompanied by a more than firm landing. A number of people actually screamed.

Now view the comparison - there were a number of regular travellers and off-duty crew who had faith in the aircraft & crew and were happy the automatics (or crew) were flying!

And then there was a number of people for who the experience was either outside their comfort zone or outside their limit of experience.

So although there was no article in this case, can anyone guess what it might have said? (obviously leaving out any journalistic licence )

My only interest is IF, note IF, the crew member acted unprofessionally. However, in truth in this sort of situation, I would think it would be hard to tell where the words were coming from. Poor PR for Virgin, but surely not the end of the world

OK, bet I get flamed!

Regards,

Shuttlebus