PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway directions
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2006, 18:14
GusHoneybun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EGBKFLYER
If that is a good method, why don't we just strap them in, throw them a copy of Thom 1 and let them get on with it
Well, we wont get paid then .

Anyhoo, i don't class myself quite as a tyrant just yet. Few more years before I hit that grumpy old duffer stage. To defend myself though, I will happily demo any exercise to a student as many times as required. I also know my own personal envelope and never let the student get near to busting it. Apart from those two times the student always has control. Further more, I never put a student in a situation that we have not either discussed or demo'd before. Learning to fly is a series of lessons. And most of these lessons are what not to do. The only way people learn what not to do is to see what happens when they do do it. Human nature after all will compel us to push the button marked "DO NOT PUSH".
So, if someone makes a silly mistake that I have seen them deal with before and I know they can recover from and begins to flap about how I should take control, I will fold my arms, look out of the window and wait for them to either a) recover the situation b) approach the point at which I feel threatened and take control.
I can be tactful and ask "Well, what would you do if I wasn't here?" and others need you to be a bit firmer. Each student has a different way of learning. Horses for courses really.