PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GoM offshore safety
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2006, 04:43
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...28X01894&key=1
Just came across a report on S-76 ditching in the GOM 6th Sep 2005. 12 POB, aircraft floating on its side and were unable to get the life raft out of the cabin. Captain only had one chamber in his life jacket due to a leak and so had trouble keeping his head above water. The bit that got me though was a Coast Guard fixed wing was launched 4 hours and 54 minutes after the accident to begin a search and found the survivors 25 minutes later. A rescue helo was called and arrived on scene 25 minutes later. Finally rescued after being in the water for 7 hours and 20 minutes in their life jackets. A good part of the time had been night – ditched at 1605, last survivor out of the water at 2325. 5 were seriously injured and 7 with minor. Words fail…………..SAR? And I’m sure that Exxons “worlds best practice” is what all the oil companies chant when safety is mentioned.
SAS - scud running is the name of the game. Here they wont even consider IMC. Well thats not strictly true, IMC yes, but IFR no - if you understand the difference. Yes I know, sucking eggs and all that.........