PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GoM offshore safety
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2006, 14:41
GLSNightPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've landed on that ship. It's a very, very big tanker. But that's not important right now. I have a rigid rule when landing offshore at night, and that is that at and below 500', nobody does anything except concentrate on the landing. The PF is on instruments until short final, the the PNF does nothing except make sure the PF is flying correctly. I've had people try to fly into the water trying to fly visually in the dark, and it happens very, very quickly. It's the same thing as trying to fly visually in the clouds, except that the water is much closer, and it can take 10 seconds or less to hit the water from what was once level flight.

Landing and taking off in the dark is very different from doing it in the daylight, because there are few if any peripheral cues to speed and rate of descent. It requires discipline and concentration, and even with that things can still go wrong. Tanker flights at night won't stop, because it costs too much money to have one sitting around waiting for daylight; time is money, and in this case, lots of money. The only way to do this is by flying instruments, using experienced pilots, and by being very cautious in everything.