PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai: "The City that Cares"
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2006, 10:44
ratpoison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who get it blocked, here's just a "small" part of the article.
Read it and weep. No more child jockeys in the UAE. Yeah right. !! What a top part of the world.
It’ s the most polite and religiously grounded analogy I can use, to describe those whose who have propagated the kidnapping, abuse, starvation and rape of little boys for mere sport, without being censored.

I am taking a rughksa (license ) this Ramadan to indulge in feelings that are not consistent with the spirit of this holy month, feelings of rage and anger, feelings which have obliged me to vent in frustration and to invent justifications for the foul language which has defiled my fasting breath. And because, for many of us, external actions seldom represent of our more noble internal motivations, I am taking the license to motivate you to do the same and follow my lead in the interest of awakening your souls to a calling higher then maintaining your pious and restrained fasting temperament. I am inviting you to get mad, to get really mad, because patience in the face of an egregious injustice, even during this blessed month, cannot be a virtue.

This Ramadan while my despair has descended into anger, my foul mouth has ascended into these words, words that have attached me to my lap top instead of my prayer rug. While I have not been motivated towards piety this month, I have at least been inspired to exercise a kind of honesty devoid of political correctness. And In my hunger and frustration I am now compelled to call a spade a spade and to label a royal sheikh a shaytan (devil). It’ s the most polite and religiously grounded analogy I can use, to describe those whose who have propagated the kidnapping , abuse, starvation and rape of little boys for mere sport, without being censored.

Although the enslavement of these boys is predominantly in the Arab world, you will NOT be relieved to know that I have not found any documented cases of the enslavement of a single Arab boy. It seems that only south Asians and Africans, who are evidently dispensable variations of human life, are being traffic kited into slavery. Political correctness is demanding I absolve the Arab peoples, myself included, by saying that the majority of us are NOT, ethnocentric, xenophobic members of the great tribe of the Saudi royal family, whose leaders and sheiks have for the last thirty some years been trafficking young boys as old as one and a half to work as camel jockeys in the camel racing business. A sport where the lighter the jockey, the faster the camel can race. Consequently the younger and more emaciated the child slave, the better he can serve his master. These masters are the Arab sheikhs of the Gulf states and have become emissaries of the shaytan to the state -- which is our ummah!Facing the Facts:

While I have a great many things to say, and I am never at a loss for words, If I speak to you on behalf of the 40,000 children who are being used as slave labor in the Middle East and Arab countries, I would have to restrict myself to saying only one thing, the only thing that the childish mind of a deprived four or five year old boy can manage to say with his parched lips in the heat of the dessert sun—HELP, HELP ME, HELP US. And all I can add to their plea is to say, help them and help yourself, because apathy to the sale of one more Pakistani boy into slavery is tantamount to a discounted sale on your own compassionate soul, and eventually will lead to the whole sale of our entire ummah.

Most of these children have been kidnapped from their villages in countries like Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Sudan to become trained as child camel jockeys to serve as entertainment for the royal families. But much more then just entertainment, they are also needed to fuel the gambling addictions of the sheikhs and in true mafia style, their drive to compete with other royal families. And where they compete by exercising their camels, we must compete by exercising compassion for their victims.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars in betting money changes hands during these races, all at the expense of these children. Prizes are awarded for the winners and the trainers, but nothing, not even a decent meal, is afforded the children who are awakened at three o’clock in the morning from their metal huts to train for 18 hours, subsisting on a diet of bread and water. They are deliberately made to go hungry to keep their weight down and while they are ordered; to feed the prized camels, they are beaten and shocked with electricity if they attempt to consume any of the animal’s food. The children are required to sleep in huts made from metal sheets in temperatures exceeding one hundred degrees. Due to the dangerous nature of this sport many boys fall and are then trampled to death. Some sustain serious injuries including permanent damage to their sexual organs from all the rigorous bouncing on the camels back. Sexual abuse is common and many boys are raped by their caretakers.

Most of the children are kidnapped by local agents who will either drug the children and flea with them or will lure improvised families with promises of employment, and education. Kidnappers have also posed as representatives of multinational companies and offered to recruit their children for training to work in reputable companies. Many mothers and fathers are duped into thinking that they are acting in the best interest of their child by securing their future, and they never suspect that they may never see them again. The highest risk areas for child trafficking are Rahim Yar Khan, Dera Ghazi Khan and southern Punjab.

There are an estimated 30, 000 active racing camels and 17 racetracks throughout the UAE, Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Sharjah, with the five main stadiums located near the rulers palaces. And while Pakistani officials and human rights groups have taken honest measures to prevent trafficking, the sheiks and shaytans are not being held responsible by either the State Department or by the Muslim world.

But in the midst of all this criminal activity one man, one hero, one angel of mercy named Ansar Burney, a lawyer by profession, has dedicated his life to the rescue and return of hundreds and these children. He is Chairman of the Ansar Burney Welfare Trust international, Prisoners Aid Society and the Bureau of Missing and kidnapped children. He has already rescued hundreds of children and returned them back to Pakistan, Bangladesh and other parts of the world. Ansar Burney and his organization not only rescue these boys but they also go to great lengths to reunite them with their families. But tragically many of the boys were so young when they had been estranged from their homes, that they no longer recognize their parents or speak their mother tongue.

HBO’S real Sports show with Bryant Gumbel did a three month undercover investigation where many of these atrocities were documented on hidden camera. It was an investigation which was of particular interest to the residents of Louiville, Kentucky where one of the major players in thoroughbred racing in their state was accused of engaging in this practice. The richest crown prince Sheikh Mohammed and his brothers who make up Godolfin Racing, are the owners of countless thoroughbreds and two Kentucky horse farms. Just this September Sheikh Mohammad spent more than $29 million on 40 yearlings. The HBO special uncovered that his passion for horse racing in the Kentucky Derby also found its outlet in the camel racing of the United Arab Emirates.

I too watched that HBO special, but because of a weak heart had to walk away when one of the boys of only 5 or 6 years old, nonchalantly stated that he had been raped the night before and pulled down his pants to prove it. One scene showed a boy in a hospital recovering from a womb after a fall had slit his stomach completely open.

The United Nations have of course followed the usual protocols when human rights are violated and held a convention that resulted in the prohibition of child trafficking for use as camel jockeys, a convention that was ratified by the United Arab Emirates but apparently has yet to be enforced. Aside from confiscating cameras at the racing tracks to eliminate any evidence of their crimes, the sheikhs like the shaytan are above and immune to the laws which govern the rest of humanity and have continued to traffic children for the purposes of camel racing.