PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 of the runway in Singapore
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2006, 18:55
radioexcel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strepsils and Turtleneck hit the nail on the head.
In some places the ATC cannot give a land-after due to Gov. restrictions , even with high speed exits. The preceding aircraft must have vacated the active runway beyond the runway holding point of that specific taxiway before the next landing aircraft may be given a landing clearance. (I hope this is now clear enough for certain readers) AND my apologies for the spell error on the word "MOAN". It was late and I slipped.
Fact is, when given a take-off clearance, an aircraft is expected to line-up and take-off without delay. The same after landing. When slowed to controllable speed, an aircraft is expected to vacate a runway as soon as possible. In both cases however, the pilot must ascertain utmost caution to be in full control of his aircraft. If he/she cannot comply, he/she must inform ATC. But on so many occasions I have seen the aircraft comming to a virtually walking pace on the runway and hundreds of meters from the next exit. Being of the same frequency as all the other aviators, he/she then is "unaware" of what he/she is doing wrong by such a long runway occupancy. When aircraft is spaced 7nm appart on final, landing clearance can normally be given to the 2nd aircaft at 3-4nm final. If the spacing is reduced to 5nm, and the first aircraft over-utilize the runway, the 2nd aircraft will only receive the landing clearance at 1-2nm on final. Prefered distance is 3nm minimum.

I hope Rockhound will understand what I mean this time.

Regards

RE
PS. SAFE FLYING GUYS