PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JETSTAR PILOTS
Thread: JETSTAR PILOTS
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2006, 07:44
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
180k is roughly 4-5 times the national average wage...how much more of a premium do you think is appropriate for 1 weeks recurrent study, 8 hrs in the sim and a quick medical every 6 or 12 mths?

The 'risks' associated with our recurrent training and medical requirements are vastly overstated.

Don't get me wrong if current trends in the aviation world lead to higher wages...which they already are in many cases...I will be a very happy camper...but you'll NEVER convince beancounters to pay 20% more than they abolutely have to based on any of the arguments postulated here...it will NEVER happen.

In the expat world though things are slowly swinging back our way...pay is going up...if you don't like what is on offer in Oz vote with your feet...it is the ONLY option open to any pilot anywhere in the end....who knows...if enough leave and not enough expats come home pay in Oz may well rise....more likely they will just lower the requirements for new FOs and Oz will be like the rest of the world...relatively experienced pilot in the LHS and 500 hr wonder in the right...where I work we have very competent 30 yr old captains who changed seats with 5000 TT and 12-1500 jet, and that's longhaul widebody...what's the average in Oz?

Still think they won't fill the seats at Jetstar?