PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you come and work for this?????
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 11:00
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The figures you quoted were in US Dollars.
To give an objective comparison to a Uk company operating the same or similar equipment, and at an exhange rate of Uk£1= US$ 1.74.

Captains salary US$130k = £ 74,712
F/O Salary US$ 80k = £ 45,977

Those figures would braodly equate to a Captain on year 6 of a basic incremental scale to about the year 1 basic widebody scale.

The F/O figures would be around the same as a year 6 basic incremental scale and about 9% below the basic widebody promotion level ( after 6 years or more ). As you will appreciate the many variables and differences make a true comparison difficult, but this an attempt to show an alternative view.

Paying for type ratings and upgrades is not usual in the comparative, but a period of bonding may apply to the additional training costs. Having said that some companies ( and it is a growing trend ) do indeed charge for new ratings, mainly in the "low cost" sector of the industry.

In the Uk the cost of living is relatively high. Good housing is very expensive. The top rate of tax is 40%, however National insurance charges ( a tax with a different name), adds 10 % to about the first 30k and 1 % to everything on top of this amount. effectively this would tax the example Captain at around 46 % after some basic allowances had been applied.

Equivalant sales tax on most goods and purchases in the UK is 17.5%. There are no tax breaks on home loans or school fees. There are however allowances for pension contributions to be deducted prior to tax calculation.

The weather here is not so good, (but I guess that depends on your point of view )

So as you can see it is a case of swings and roundabouts. There are differences and similarities, but broadly speaking there is a significant comparison. In the example I have given there is the opportunity for significantly higher incremental salaries, but the entry level salaries are in most cases lower. In addition there is no direct entry command opportunity so the figures reflect a career progression.

I cannot authorititively comment on how good or bad this package is within the realities of your market, but offer this international comparison of a "better than average" airline within the Uk marketplace that operates similar equipment though possibly a greater variety.

If I was made redundant tommorow and needed to consider alternative employment at the best level I could achieve would I consider the package you have described.

I probably would.