PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin on the Pacific...with what pilots?
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 03:21
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This one does the round every few years, but, sure enough, never amounts to anything.

China and India may be taking expats, but only the most desperate ones. Would you want to live in either place? Me neither. They will have (and are having) major problems finding reasonable quality crews. They might get some eastern Europeans, but that is about it. Pay is crap too.

There are hundreds of Oz & Kiwi expats in the UK (probably thousands) flying for UK airlines, most of whom would love to return home if there was a semi-decent job on offer. I was in that position, every time I met a fellow expat the talk was of how or when we could get home. Any new operation in Oz would attract a lot of those people.

It is also untrue to suggest that overseas airlines cannot afford to lose their experienced Ozmates. Remember that those people are spread across a large number of airlines, in a country with many times more experienced pilots than exist in Oz. Promotion and local hiring could easily take up the slack - we aren't talking about that many crews to start with, in any case.

No, Ochre Insider is wildly overstating the situation.

As for remotely-piloted airliners, the technology is more or less there - any aircraft with a digital data bus could theoretically be remotely piloted - but by who? If the pilot is on the ground, you still need the pilot! There is no way ATC could do it, they would have to have all the qualifications of a pilot as well as an ATC (if only to satisfy the punters). Too many problems to solve, to many safety issues, too much customer resistance. If you want to see a real-world example of technology moving backwards instead of forwards, spare a thought for Concorde...