PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best advice when your airways ATCer gets really cross with you?
Old 22nd Feb 2006, 00:38
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a great audio clip "Ding Dong" out there somewhere; it's a classic tale from the states; the ATC does take it a little far...

Anyone got an MP3 of it to post? We used to play it to all the newbies as a little lesson in how not to enhance ATC-Pilot relations.

Sometimes a little thought before engaging mouth helps; for example I tell the next sector to slow up and aircraft for my sequence (usually only done when delay is 7+ minutes); the pilot calls me asking for direct tracking and high speed descent because the they are running late... I also like, telling the next sector minimum speed on XXX123 the aircraft calls and I say turn left, the pilot says, we could slow up some more... What exactly does the word "minimum" mean?

However, that said, I always try to stay professional over the Air Ground even if I think something really stupid just happened. I will however, let some of the ATCs around me what just happened... Usually some choice words flow when circumstances are right; more cursing other ATCs when they give dodgy coordination (usually including a dodgy traffic resolution) than the pilot to controller stuff.

Best advice if you ever encounter someone grumpy or tearse is ignore it act professional and get on with it. Asking for antoher ATC is likely to enhace the tension not resolve it. Most units will not have another ATC to get in, if they did it could still well be ten minutes before the spare body is found and is able to take over.