PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross wind landings
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2006, 12:19
PAPI-74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flyingforfun,
I am not sure what you are driving at. You say that you agree with both Hufty and myself and then say we are talking rubbish. Forgive me, but which is it chap.

My comment was to the original thread about landings and the best way to achieve this safely, which I think I did. I did also state that it is more than possible to fly beyond the aircrafts crosswind limit (demonstrated). I also mentioned the gust limit of which I bet most of you don't know for you aircraft, demonstrated or recommended, but I am sure you will find out and put in a slating reply (I hope you do...it's funny).
I also mentioned that you won't be insured. Ever tried to cross hire an aircraft on a windy day....9/10 won't give you the aircraft. The cert. of ins. may not mention that you have to stay within the demonstrated xwc, but the first thing the insurance companies will do is contact ATC, be it at the airfield or the MET office and get the wx. Do you really think that they will pay if you have been a bit keen to prove what a great pilot you are, and do you really think that ATC won't file a repport to the CAA if you hit one of the runway side lights or Jonny at the hold.....they will.
How clever will you feel then?
What if it goes really wrong and the gear decides that it isn't in a good mood and buckles....and it will one day. If the gear doesn't buckle, you could always spin it in when cross controlling. I do speak from experience, but luckely I had enough power available and rudder authority to recover (during my Bulldog days). With a full tank of fuel you may have a few seconds to get yourself and the no longer impressed pax out before you painfully burn to death. There is always tomorrow!
For Christ sake, it is illegal to depart your airfield if the fc at your destination is out of limits. Fly somewhere else or fly in the morning / late evening when it is calmer (usually). You have a duty of care. What do you gain if you regularly play with fire (ok the odd approach where you feel the conditions to your commital height, 200' ish), respect.....a well done.....a wow maybe i'll try it then.....I hope not. More like a frown and noone will trust you to make a sound decision when it matters.