PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of ex-Service rank titles
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2006, 09:48
LFittNI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmmm, thanks to all for the interesting contributions.
I started the thread to emphasise what I see as an increasing frequency of the honorific title useage. If QR's state it's a (qualified) right then, I suppose, you can carry on playing with it.
However, as numerous posters have pointed out--don't expect la gloire to carry over into civilian life. It is that, essentially somewhat arrogant, attitude that causes so much surprise when said ex-officer finds he doesn't have the managerial or commercial nous to make the grade.
To compensate, we engaged an excellent Support manager a couple of years ago--only found out last month (I didn't interview him) that he is an ex-RN Weapons engineer (Lt.Cmdr). He runs an excellent division and I'll have him as a Director pretty soon. It all depends on attitude as well as ability.
Petitfromage (now there's a Freudian slip for you!) seems to think I'm some sort of class warrior. Hardly, old chap, just the minor public schoolboy's attitude to fairness coming out.
Yes, I'm an ex-SNCO, who was just fascinated by navigation electronics--and remain so. I wasn't going to give up having my hands deep inside the surreal innards of a GPI Mk.4 (ahhh--the Secant gear!) for a couple of rings on the sleeve and a desk full of paper. My choice, and my career ambitions have been realised elewhere, in civilian life as a director of several companies.