PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of ex-Service rank titles
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2006, 08:29
engineer(retard)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My own experience is that the ex-senior officers using their titles are often on the sales side of the businees and use their old rank as a lever to get in to places that your average sales manager would struggle with. However, unless you are good at what you do your new career will last as long as your contacts from your previous life are in influential posts, then its off to the allotment.

Outside of that, you may be viewed as an anachronism and may be laughed at by employees who are now too young to have done active service and have no concept of rank. Particularly the yoof who think that Wing Commander is a Playstation game.

Other than that, rank may place you on a career path when you first leave but your own abilities carry you after that. Like AA, I have seen many ex SNCOs do very well when they leave, many just lack the confidence to pitch themselves when they first leave. Likewise, some senior ex-officers struggle to adapt to a different world. Carrying your rank outside is double edge sword and I would advise that you are selective how you use it.

regards

retard