PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of ex-Service rank titles
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2006, 06:52
aviate1138

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working Hard said...
"Many years ago I was interviewing for a fairly senior post in my company and the applicant was a retiring Wg Cmdr. When I enquired about his qualification for the job (which had been omitted on his application form) the response was "But I am a Wg Cmdr old chap, that should be all the qualifaction you need" Thank goodness those days are long gone (aren't they?) No one would do that these days!"
Aviate 1138 well remembers my father phoning an ex Army neighbour " Is that you Hodgson?" about some Church Fete matter and hearing my father explode as his neighbour replied "Lt Colonel Hodgson speaking".
My father, bless his heart, replied "If I had wanted to speak to the f***ing War Office I would have dialled the f***ing War Office!" Just about the only time I heard my Old Man swear until I was much older. The Lt Colonel turned out to be a Pay Corps type and never left the UK during WW2.
The post Service Rank thing is fading away isn't it? I know a retired AVM who flew Lightnings at displays [Farnborough etc] that took one's breath away but only those closest to him even know he was in the RAF. He never mentions it. Let alone demands the title.
Aviate 1138