PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trial By Press...Again
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2006, 20:09
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pierre, I understand your point but I just don't agree with it.
To get wrapped-up in worries about whether we take the moral high ground, or if we provoke reaction, or if we do this or do that, is pointless. In the final analysis, these people deal in muders, missile throwing and heaven-knows what else, all in the name of some rubbish that is spouted from a book. They're entirely welcome to do that in their own country, but to worry about how we deal with them is to credit them with more value than they're worth. If our troops are being hit by bricks then grab 'em and beat 'em, by all means. It's the only kind of rough justice that thugs understand.
The way I see it is this; our troops, airmen and sailors are commtted to our armed forces, who are, in turn, committed to the defence of this country. Exactly what they're doing in Iraq or anywhere else is questionable. Their presence isn't going to stop so much as one placard being displayed in England, never mind a terrorist attack, so they're patently being used merely for the agendas of our polticians, who certainly never asked us if we wanted to send troops out there in the first place. So why on earth should they sit on their hands and get injured or killed, just to bolster Tony Blair's image? What must the poor parents of the killed soldeirs feel like? Your son's just been killed for, er... the defence of the United Kingdom? Bullsh*t, he's been killed because Tony Blair wanted to go on a crusade.
We advocated the bombing or Iraq because we were told that they posessed weapons of mass destruction which (theoretically) could threaten the UK. Well fine - bomb Saddam Hussein's government out of existence but then just get the hell out of there - what happens to Iraq after that, frankly, just isn't our problem, and it still isn't. We should try taking care of our own country instead of wasting money and lives trying to bring civilisation to nations that traditionally behave like animals.
As I've said before, the future of any of these countries isn't worth the life of even one British soldier.