PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jam Sandwhiches = Insanity
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2006, 02:34
gadgetguru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pipe-dreaming

personally: flying max hours a year ...& getting paid to do it.

preferably sitting next to a very experienced mentor, so that i might live long enough to one get the opportunity to reciprocate the benefit of such experience.

I'd also like to argue the following; whilst new CPL's are fresh is the best time to recruit them:

1. they co-jo with an experienced pilot & the company ensures that they are getting a return on investment from their workforce

2. experienced pilots get the opportunity to mentor the junior pilots within the industry before they get into any bad habits from shoe-string-budget operations.

3. employees would be higher motivated to maintain loyalty to a company that gives them the leg up, rather than jumping ship at the first best offer that comes along.

4. loyaties might be duly rewarded by employers that are able to retain experienced pilots & not be faced with experienced pilot shortages, at least the minimal experience these pilots might have gained the company is aware of their limitations.

any internships out there for motivated, professional (slightly mature) junior pilots? - not a chance.

any hangar rat positions - plenty (slave labour , no flying, & lots of carrot-dangling & broken promises)

I did 10 years in the Army, unfortuately not in aviation, so i've missed that boat.

a shortage of EXPERIENCED helicopter pilots, with so many low-timers pilots around, & these companies needing experienced jocks; why aren't there any programs that allow for the progressive advancement of junior pilots to a level where they are employable.

the fact is that most juniors without jobs (in Oz) will fly for nothing - what choice do they have in the current environments.

Why aren't some of the larger companies providing programs / scholarships to tap into this vast market of new candidates.

why aren't flying schools tapping into this potential to organise such schemes, so that the students have the higher potential of gaining employment - post license...rather than just taking half a house mortgage...
a company representative (C&T pilot) might also be involved in the final areas of training, so that they can get a feel for who is going to make the grade & not.

consider the expansion scope due to the influx of students that would be required for first school to provide such a scheme & imagine the bottom line of the flying schools that couldn't see beyond the dash of their latest fully-imported european car, let a lone remember a students name...

is it such an insurmountable task?
& why ?

(boy I look forward to this feedback)

cheers
the frustrated pipe-dreamer

Last edited by gadgetguru; 16th Feb 2006 at 03:12.