PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R/T status in KL FIR
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2006, 06:27
veloo maniam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel conservation

Hi flyers..just back from a meeting between IATA/MAS at FMB KLIA. ATC was invited. Me n my friend attended.As some of u might b aware IATA is campaining for "SAVE 1 MINUTE" Initiative. I told IATA that it is a norm these days to give track shortenings which range anywhere between 1-3 mins. U wud observed that a no. of flts are given track shortenings. What ATC wud like to know is whether this fuel saving initiatives are helping u guys at all.
For eg:
MH2 FPL on P628 KUL-LHR. Normal FPL distance from SUKAT-VPL-GIVAL will be 293.6NM. But we are giving SUKAT-GIVAL which works out to 273.6NM, a savings of 20NM.
For SIN departures there is an additional savings of 34.2NM bcos we track them direct abm ARAMA-SUKAT-GIVAL. Therefore a departure from SIN saves a total of 54.2 track miles.
For a flight from SIN-PUT there is a total of 39.2NM savings by giving a direct track from Abm Arama dct VPL.
By providing a direct track from AGOSA to Tamos 22.1NM is knocked out.All this track shortenings are provided based on tfc conditions without comprimising Air Safety.
ATC doesn't know the amount of fuel saved in Kilos. and the amount saved in USD. Whatever it is,this 'saved' amount is actually adding to your weight at the point of arrival. I don't think this will be a problem for short haul flts. However the long haul flts are carrying on with this 'saved' fuel for a longer period.At least this was what was highlighted in the meeting.Somebody pls advise whether track shortenings really help u guys. A minute saved is worth about US100 (IATA statistics) cheers