PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trial By Press...Again
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2006, 01:47
dragon166

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet again the British Press appears intent on putting our soldiers in danger by publishing these photos. As is normal, they appear to have been taken totally out of context. in order to display the press's idea that all soldiers are brutal and uncontrolled. It is rather convenient that the events leading up to these images is not recorded, thus preventing us from deciding, for ouselves. whether the events shown had any just cause. Worst actions have been seen on television, meted out by various Police Forces in Europe, during periods of football violence or street demonstrations in Paris.

The responsibity of the Press is to tell the truth but also to ensure that their actions do not inflame a situation. In the present climate, especially following the actions shown around the world, due to the publication of a cartoon, then I feel the present situation should have been avoided at all costs. It shows that the press have scant regard for the safety of British soldiers, who are presently overstretched, sent to police the world and expect nothing other than to be stabbed in the back by their own countrymen - and all in the name of selling newspapers.

Whilst not condoning any acts of violence when they are not necessary, I do believe that sometimes events necessitate response. It seems strange to me that this very Regiment, attacked and set on fire by Iraqi mobs. recieve a small mention one day but, following this video, are villified by overblown coverage.

Perhaps the time has come to pull all our troops out of these areas, where they are intent on killing the own people, and telling the whole lot of them to sort themselves out.