PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REASONS TO STAY IN
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2006, 15:00
tonkatechie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blodwyn Pig
the australian air force let people leave for up to 18 months, if they like life on the outside, they can stay out, if its not the bed of roses they thought, they can go back in. perhaps something similar with our forces would let people get a taste of life outside, without the need to make it permanent.
I think you can do that in the RAF - check QR's, it says something about a 'Career Break' of up to 2 years (or thereabouts) which is obviously unpaid and doesn't count towards total time served. Of course, you have to justify why you want it, and I imagine it won't do a world of good if you decide to return and chase that next promotion either...
For myself, I often feel a bit despondant about the whole raf-life, but I haven't got a clue as to what work I would either like to do, get paid the same amount for with my qualifications, or could find in somewhere I'd like to live. Basically, it's better than the civvy job I used to have, and I'd rather live in a quarter at the end of the runway than do that by commute on the train into London again! Having a winge and moan and threatening to jack it all in is a good way of getting rid of the stress - it's a way of reminding yourself that you do, afterall, have the final say about what you do for cash.