PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trial By Press...Again
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2006, 09:50
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh do give it a rest.

While we would all condemn the press for its lamentable standards of accuracy, and for its too frequent partisan coverage, and for its institutional ignorance of the armed forces, coverage of Iraq since the war has been pretty balanced and fair, and the BBC has stood up for issues which affect the lives of our servicemen in theatre, against a penny-pinching government who have always been willing to exploit the public popularity of the services while failing to provide the tools or the leadership necessary to get the job done.

While I would disagree with your contention that servicemen should "stay away from the press apart from the formal press releases from the MOD" it's certainly true that anyone dealing with a journo should be careful and selective about which journos he/she deals with, since the breed differ widely in their trustworthiness and sympathies. I often think that the media training dished out to those who are posted into Corporate Comms/Press/Public/Community Relations roles is inadequate.

But on this particular issue any journo (and not just the lilly-livered variety) will be giving the soldiers involved a metaphorical bollocking, quite rightly. NOTHING justifies the level of casual brutality meted out to unarmed shoeless teenagers. Even those who would accept the occasional need to beat information out of a dangerous enemy would surely see the difference between a rigorous and robust interrogation and what was a crude, unstructured and unsupervised beating?

Senior officers should not just "take a formally strong view" - this was entirely unacceptable and really does bring shame on our country and on the British Army, and those involved are scum who do not deserve to wear the uniform.

But what a shame that the Sun should publish the pictures and then distribute the video rather than putting it into the hands of the MoD first. I'm old fashioned enough to think that unless and until an MoD enquiry and process could be seen to have failed to uncover the problems and punish the guilty, it's NOT in the public interest for this video to have had a public airing.