PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trial By Press...Again
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2006, 09:26
Testingtheseatlimit2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Trial By Press...Again

Sad to see on BBC this morning that a Maj Gen (sorry I've forgotten name) from the first GW, after trying to defend the Military against the actions of a few unworthy individuals in Iraq this last weekend, had the interview ended with what appeared to be a dressing down along the lines of "well, not a good week for the Armed Forces!" in an extremely condescending tone. The Maj Gen had explained that our boys and girls face a very difficult circumstance in the ME at the moment, and on the whole their conduct is exemplary. Whilst not condoning the acts of a couple of soldiers, he tried, very eloquently, to explain some of the stresses and strains that the troops are under. All that the BBC interveiwers pressed for was, how to blame the system, what shame our forces are bringing to our country and what we intended to do about it (I'd imagine they'd like an execution!). Whilst I understand the need for our leadership to take a formally strong view and completely villify the actions of these few men, why should we panda to a bollocking from some lilly-livered TV presenter? My advice would be to stay away from the press apart from the formal press releases from the MOD. The BBC just does not show balance any more and does not deserve our attention beyond that of the formal line! I feel for all our people in the Gulf at the moment who must ocassionally wonder why they bother.