PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REASONS TO STAY IN
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2006, 03:14
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
I know PT asked people not to '..slag off...' his personal issues, but I would make the one following comment. In his reasons 'For' staying he said '......because they believe what they are being asked to do is right.'

Without going into a great political debate, and re-opening arguements already made on other threads I believe this is not necessarily the case any more. I beleive that many people in the military, at least at a junior level, were/are very uneasy with the background to the war against Iraq. They joined the armed services to defend their country, and preserve it's way of life, not invade other countries and impose a way of life on their occupants. Nevertheless, being the professionals that we are, we got on with the job, and did it to the best of our ability. However, it implanted in many a lack of faith in our leaders, both political and military, that has not gone away, and caused a re-think of our reasons for serving (the realisation that it is now just another job perhaps?). The subtle impact of this on some should not be overlooked in my opinion.

Those within the military fortunate enough not to have taken part in the (second!) war against Iraq, or to have served their since, may not be best placed to appreciate the validity of my comments.