PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Television in FI - what format?
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2006, 14:36
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
As one of those who has now retired from HMFC, fortunately it is unlikely that I will ever have to visit the Islas Malvinas ever again.. Such a shame.....

I note the following comment regarding the GSM service provided by C&W:

'Cable and Wireless Plc has not declared any active roaming agreements with other network operators.'

Which presumably means that you will have to buy a C&W SIM card to use your own phone down there?

Bloody place is still subject to the monopolistic avarice of C&W. Why should you need to buy one of their SIM cards in the first place? According to www.cwfi.co.fk it will cost people 90p per minute to call civilisation, or 20p per minute to call within Bennyland. No information given on the cost of receiving calls from the UK....

I note that you can only pay for the SIM cards by 'Scratch Cards at outlets or cash at Cable & Wireless' - which is hardly very easy if you're cooped up on QRA. I guess the DeathStar NAAFI takes Bennyfone payments?

Still(!), better than nothing. I suggested to C&W about 6 years ago that Bennyfone GSM might be a good business opportunity....